Translate

05 March 2011

Next Reunion of FIT's BSEEs

I've begun pre-planning our next reunion, which I hope to be Homecoming Week of 2013.  I've garnered little response to my emails to my classmates, but the few that did respond have expressed enthusiasm.

I've asked them if we should open up our reunion to those from "neighboring" graduation years, those of  '71, '72, '74 and '75, since I've had queries from a few fellows from those years, asking to join us.  I think it's a fine idea, although it will mean a much larger get-together/party.  I cannot spend the next few years tracking down graduates from those years and want one or two guys from each of those years to track down their own classmates.  They might need that long to find everyone.

If we do go to a larger reunion, I want it understood that it is our reunion, that of the BSEEs of the Class of '73.  If the other "years" don't mind having an odd-numbered reunion year for themselves, they can consider it their reunion, as well.  Otherwise, we'll consider them guests to our reunion.  Okay, maybe it's selfish, but I want it to be our reunion.  It's my idea; it's my work in tracking down my classmates; it's my work in organizing the thing, this time, last time and future times.

Being possibly five times as many people at this next, combined reunion, I expected to have to find someplace much larger than Dr. Hadj's house to have the Friday night party, but he insists on having it there again.  He and his wife, Fran, very much enjoy throwing parties and they, in fact, hosted our  Senior Party in '73 and our first reunion in 2008, our 35th year reunion and FIT's 50th Anniversary.

Regardless of the size of the party, if we do, indeed, have it at John's house, it'll be much easier to organize.  All I'll have to do is attempt to get RSVPs in so that he knows about how many people to expect.  If this is like two years ago, he'll be inviting present-day professors and administrators and students and even neighbors; all okay with me.

As was pointed out to me by Johny, chances are the same classmates, with a few exceptions, at our last party will be at the next one, as well. 

Having so few responses to my queries, asking my classmates their opinions about all of the above, I have been about ready to give up the idea.  Johny and Sylvia (my college girl friend) and Ed all suggested that I should go ahead with the plans and those classmates too busy to answer will eventually sign up for it, probably at the last minute.  This will present a problem for those who think their classmates from other years will be joining us because I need some of them to find their own.  We'll have this posted in Fla. Tech Today, so we'll pick up some that way, mostly those who live fairly close to Melbourne, I expect.  It'll make it difficult to estimate the numbers for John.  Maybe I can elicit a better response as the time nears.

More comments in future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Respectful discussions contributing to the Post are most welcome.